For more information on Bikeability, please see https://bikeability.org.uk/
Bikeability is the Cycling Proficiency course for the 21st century, designed to give the next generation of children the skills and confidence to ride their bikes on today’s busy roads.
To achieve their Bikeability award, children will be instructed on how to ride their bikes to the Department for Transport approved National Standard for Cycle Training which sets out the training and skills essential for making cycling trips in today’s road conditions.
The standard has been developed by over 20 organisations and is maintained by the professional body for cycle training, the Cycle Training Standards Board.
There are three Bikeability levels:
Covered in a traffic free environment.
By completing Level 1 your child will be able to demonstrate the skills and understanding to be able to make a trip and undertake activities safely in a motor traffic free environment. Achieving level 1 is a pre-requisite to a level 2 course.
Covered on quieter roads, in live road traffic conditions. During the course, students will be gradually exposed to more demanding road traffic scenarios. By completing Level 2 the student will be able to demonstrate the skills and understanding to be able to make a trip safely to school, work or leisure on 30mph limited roads.
Covered on busy roads incorporating real traffic conditions and advanced road features.
By completing Level 3, students will be able demonstrate the skills and understanding to be able to make a trip safely to school, work or leisure on busy roads, using complex junctions and multi-lane roads and roundabouts
Students should be encouraged and inspired to achieve all three levels, recognising that there is always more to learn and to enjoy on a bike.
Bikeability is not just about teaching children to ride a bike, it is about equipping them with the necessary skills and knowledge needed to ride a bike safely throughout the rest of their life.
It’s also about introducing them to cycling as an everyday activity – an alternative mode of transport, an enjoyable pastime, which brings a healthier lifestyle and ultimately lots of fun together with friends and family.
Bikeability will give children a life skill that once they’ve learnt, they will never forget.
Bikeability is not just for children but also for adults, re-fresh your skills learn to ride on today’s busy roads with skill and confidence with a kind and caring instructor.
There is no upper age limit!
National Standard Levels
- Bike check.
- Get on and off the bike without help.
- Start off and pedal without help.
- Stop without help.
- Ride along without help for roughly 1 minute or more.
- Make the bike go where you want.
- Use gears correctly.
- Stop quickly with control.
- Manoeuvre safely to avoid objects.
- Look all around, including behind, without loss of control.
- Signal Left and Right without loss of control.
- All Level 1 outcomes.
- Start an on-road journey.
- Finish an on-road journey.
- Be aware of everything around you, including behind, as you ride.
- Understand how when to signal your intentions to other road users.
- Understand where to ride on the roads you are using.
- Pass parked or slower moving vehicles.
- Pass side roads.
- Turn Left from a minor road into a major road.
- Turn Right from a minor road into a major road.
- Turn Left from a major road into a minor road.
- Turn right from a major road into a minor road.
- Be able to take the correct carriageway when you need to.
- Decide where cycle lanes can help your journey and demonstrate their correct use.
- Explain why you have made decisions during riding and thereby demonstrate an understanding of safe riding strategy.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the Highway Code, in particular how to interpret road signs.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of safety equipment and clothing.
- Make a U-turn.
- Go straight on from a minor road to a minor road at a crossroads.
- Turn Left at a mini/single lane roundabout.
- Go straight ahead at a mini/single lane roundabout.
- Turn Right at a mini/single lane roundabout.
- All Level 2 outcomes.
- How to use Roundabouts.
- How to use junctions controlled by traffic lights.
- How to use multi lane roads and turn off from and into them.
- How to use both on and off-road cycle facilities.
- Hazard perception and strategy to deal with hazards.
- An understanding of route planning.